Social Media Policy
First and foremost, SLCC athletes are encouraged always to exercise the utmost caution when participating in any form of social media or online communications, both within the Swindon Lightning Cheerleading community and beyond. Athletes who participate in online interactions must remember that their posts reflect on the entire Swindon Lightning community and, as such, are subject to the same behavioural standards set out in the club rules.
All parents and athletes are expected to abide by the following:
1. To protect the privacy of Swindon Lightning Cheerleading students and faculty, athletes may not, under any circumstances, create digital video recordings of Swindon Lightning Cheerleading members during training and we have a strict No Phones policy on site which supports this. 1.1 When not at training, videoing outside/ at home or at competitions for online publication or distribution should only be done if you have the consent of those in the digital recording. SLCC will not share any athletes who we do not have consent for such as athletes from other teams or siblings.
2. Athletes may not use social media sites to publish disparaging or harassing remarks about Swindon Lightning Cheerleading members, fellow teammates, the coaching staff, parents, administrators, friends and family or competition rivals.
3. There will be no negative comments on any forms of social media regarding any Swindon Lightning Cheerleading members, fellow teammates, parents, administrators, friends and family or competition rivals. Please only post positive comments.
4. Athletes who choose to post editorial content to websites or other forms of online media must ensure that their submission does not reflect poorly on Swindon Lightning Cheerleading Club.
5. No inappropriate pictures may be posted online. If an athlete is engaging in something illegal or inappropriate, do not share this with everyone on social media. For e.g. pictures of underage athletes drinking at a party even though not in SLCC clothing. Poor online conduct
although not directly aimed at SLCC will have consequences and SLCC will deal with this on an individual basis as and when an issue arises.
6. It is forbidden for coaches and staff to ‘friend’ athletes on their profiles. For SLCC, all interaction between staff and parents is restricted to the parent’s Facebook page. This page is not open to athletes. This is why the athlete’s Instagram sportsperson profile should be set up and only linked with the official Swindon Lightning Cheerleading Club Instagram page.
7. Swindon Lightning reserves the right to publish appropriate images and videos of athletes to promote the club via social media. Members can be excluded from this for safeguarding reasons. This must be submitted in writing to the head coach. Please use the new form to update us of any changes and any changes mid-season must notify Lou/ Millie at the earliest opportunity.
8. Images and videos of athletes may only be deleted for the purposes of safeguarding, however, we will not retrospectively delete any media.
9. The use of social media is for the benefit of the club, athletes and parents cannot request media to be sent to them. This is not a service we can provide.
10. The media team have organised and planned content in advance to ensure a fair and even spread of coverage. All media will be done as fairly as possible. Repetitive posts/ tags will not be shared.